Friday, October 26, 2007

Book Review


The Little Man In The Space Case by Aamena Khota. Reviewed by Fatima Sayed

I was born when Apartheid was nearing its end. I had not witnessed the wrong doings during Apartheid times because I was very small to understand what was happening. I only know South Africa as a democratic country. Thus, reading this book not only educates Joyce and Mariam, the two young girls who just found out about apartheid, but also others.

When reading the book one can imagine the story actually taking place. The setting of the story is relative to reality. It is the perfect setting for children's book. Joyce is eager to inform her friend Mariam, what she had discovered about our country's past. She learned about apartheid and how cruel it was. How it destroyed people's lives. She told Mariam about what had happened, how apartheid became weak and finally ended. Now we are a democratic country.

I found the book to be really interesting and exciting. I think that children will definitely enjoy it. I was really pleased with the writing style. Aamena wrote the book based on facts but at the same time made it mysterious and exciting for the young ones and easy for them to understand.

This is a very good book for children. For all the parents who wish to educate their children on apartheid, make them read the book.



No comments: