Monday, September 10, 2007

INTERVIEW WITH MRS SAKINA PATEL by Waseem Patel

Vaal Hearings

Assalaam-u-alaikum. Today I will be doing an interview with Mrs. Sakina Patel and she will be telling us more on here experiences during the apartheid times in South Africa.

Waseem: Tell us something about your youth and how it was during the apartheid times

Sakina: I was born in 1934 and brought up in Everton. I went to a school which thought till standard 6. Unfortunately there was no higher education at that time for Indians so I left school at the age of 13.

Waseem: At what period did you become politically active?Sakina: I came from a politically involvedfamily. My brother Kassim was involved in the Youth League. Also, my eldest brother was involved in the ANC. I took an interest to what they were doing. At the age of 18, we girls were approached and asked to join the defiance campaign, which we did. We took part in marches. Once we went into the locations and defied the permit law and we were arrested.

Waseem: For how long were you in jail?

Sakina: We slept the night and the next day we were taken to court and we were sentenced to 14 days in prison which we served. My sister Mariam Jada also served it with me

Waseem: What was your attitude towards policies after being in jail?

Sakina: I didn’t regret it for one moment.It was our duty as citizens of South Africa as we also desired freedom

Waseem: What was the most significant event which you can recall during your time as an activist?

Sakina: It was the time I was arrested but I recall a march in Everton at which they (the whites) came with light aeroplanes and guns.They flew low to try and scare us and I thought they would open fire on us.

Waseem: Did you feel your efforts were in vain?

Sakina: No, there was always a hope and feeling that we would get freedom although there were many rough times which we went through.

Waseem: Do you still have contact with any of your fellow activists that may be in yhe government and do you still keep in touch with them?

Sakina: I have occasional contact with members of the ANC. People like Mozzie Moola and Ahmed Kathrada.

Waseem: What message would you like to share with the youth of South Africa today?

Sakina: The youth should use the opportunities they have which we didn’t have in those days and should be grateful of all the people who fought for the freedom of this country by offering their lives,wealth and family

Waseem:Finally- are you hopeful of South Africa today?

Sakina: Yes, we are gradually growing and if the crime can stop, this could be a great future ahead.

No comments: