Monday, September 10, 2007

This interview was done with apartheid activist, Mr. Mohammed Ameen Lutchka.

Naazneen: Firstly, could you tell us something about yourself, your childhood and how you got involved in politics or political resistance?

Mr.Lutchka: I’m like any other ordinary human being. I’m not different from anyone else Allah has created nor any superior. My childhood was like any other childhood, very naughty and very mischievous, having being brought up in one of the roughest areas of Durban-Victoria Street, Queen Street controlled by gangs in the cinema and club districts. It was an ordinary childhood. From the background that I grew up in, I could just as well been a victim of crime, gangsterism, but alhamdulilah my role models and peers emerged form elders of my family, parents, uncles and cousins who were very stern and strict with me and I was regularly punished for the wrongs I did. There was a stage in my life where I despised the, but I always got the better of me. Not realizing that in the different stages of my life, they had helped shape my future, thus I followed in their footsteps and alhamdulilah, today I pray for them.
Before politics, I was involved in the Isipingo beach mosque madressah committee from as early as 17 years old. I was encouraged to participate at the encouragement of my late father who passed away 4 years later, but by then the community had shown great respect to me and … at the age of 21, I decided to go for Hajj, the late hajee Padia and all the ulamas of the community assisted me in getting ready Hajj. Upon returning, I was to assist at the first IMA clinic at As-Salaam, then… I was also involved in As-Salaam, the first Muslim school of South Africa. Later I became active within the Muslim youth movement and the tabligh jamaat. I refuse to favour one over the other as both of them had important roles to play, neither one was more superior than the other. This interaction within the Muslim youth movement and the Al-Qalam newspaper of the MYM prompted us to defy apartheid but … neither discriminating nor favouring any parties of the liberation movement. Our cause was a just one for the sake of Allah. But eventually one does get carried away and decides to move into political party directions.

Naazneen: What was the most significant event which you can recall during your time as an apartheid activist?

Mr.Lutchka: My political activism stemmed from the support of Palestine, comparing the struggle of the Palestinian people to the struggle and suffering of the indigenous Africans of South Africa … at about this time, I found myself growing closer to the masses of our country. I was respected for my views and courage by elders of my family who were deeply entrenched in the Islamic movement of South Africa. Some issues of the Al-Qalam newspaper were not allowed to be printed, that angered me more. In 1980, I had moved to Vereeniging and in 1982, I received visitors from London. We had gone out on a picnic to Vosloopark and Dickinson Park. We were denied entry at both. I had contacted the chief editor of the Vaal Ster, and Vaal Veekblad who were then Mr. Michael Crook who was very sympathetic to my humiliation and had recorded it very strongly in his newspaper. The Muslim councilors of Roshnee at the time asked me to tone down, but I refused and … I’m not sorry. Through the Islamic movement and political associations, I was drawn deeper into local politics; because I was drawn closer and closer to the township communities- they were my true friends.

Naazneen: Did you ever have a run in with the law at the time?

Mr.Lutchka: Through my newspaper articles and involvement within the MYM, my mail was always ruffled especially those that came from abroad, therefore I was refused a license to possess a firearm. I was interrogated and I was told that I will never possess a firearm license, but I was asked to be a ‘pimp’. Because I knew other activists, I was refused. In 1972, I ran the cafeteria at the Salsbury Island university, again I was asked to be a pimp on student activities because activist students from all over the country came to Salsbury Island when I had refused to do so, I was denied the opportunity of running the cafeteria anymore. In early 1973 … after the death of my late father, the Durban municipality had closed down our only business in the Indian market. Only because the law had stipulated that after deceased person trading license must be terminated and not transferred, in the Indian market. These were the factors that strengthened my resolve, thus driving me more and more to the truth and justice.

Naazneen: What was your attitude like towards policies after those run-ins or bad experiences?

Mr.Lutchka: Obviously… I did not have any respect nor the love for the apartheid government, because I, myself was a victim when our property in Cato Manor was expropriated by the government and we were forced into the group areas act situation. And now with our business shut down, I had absolutely no respect nor love for the white community.

Naazneen: Do you still have contact with any of your fellow activists that may be in the government at the moment and do you keep in touch with them?

Mr.Lutchka: No … very few are now sincere; more are in it for glory and money. Some of them have become untouchable; you cannot ever speak to them but good luck to them.

Naazneen: Were you ever arrested or detained? Describe your experience?

Mr.Lutchka: No, I was arrested but not detained.

Naazneen: Were you an MK (Imkonto-we sizwe) i.e. a member of the military wing of the ANC at the time? Describe your experiences?

Mr.Lutchka: No … we preferred the Islamic movement as that provided Allah’s solutions for the country.

Naazneen: Did you feel the efforts of your struggle were in vain?

Mr.Lutchka: No, I’m respected by the township communities only because of my past.

Naazneen: How did you feel about those in power at the time? i.e. what did you think of white supremacy at the time?

Mr.Lutchka: It was horrible and rotten as is the Jewish supremacy of Palestine.

Naazneen: How did you react the many different laws? E.g. the pass law, group areas act etc?

Mr.Lutchka: Angered by it…because I was a victim and I had suffered a loss.

Naazneen: Did you ever hear or see a neck lacing? i.e. those people who spied for the apartheid state were burnt alive by a tire placed over them?

Mr.Lutchka: No comments…as this would be another issue for the TRC.

Naazneen: What message would you like to share with the people of South Africa today?

Mr.Lutchka: Do not let power and greed go to your head. Conduct a just and righteous government, always bearing in mind that what goes around, comes around and the Almighty is always watching, nothing escapes him. Bearing in mind that no one is superior over the other. Let us enjoy a rainbow nation together.

Naazneen: We don’t see i.e. in our community of Roshnee, Indians and Muslims in particular involved in politics and the civil service as they should be. Therefore, what are your feelings about this and is there any advice you would like to share regarding this?

Mr.Lutchka: Muslims should be involved in politics to serve the interest of Muslims and safeguard the rights of Muslims and we should be involved in civil services as only this would strengthen our ties with the rest of the country. My advice to the youth, live as you want to be spoken of, at your graveside, because the way you live your life is how you will be spoken of at your graveside. Always remember that.

Naazneen: Finally, are you hopeful of South Africa today?

Mr.Lutchka: Very, with all the shortcomings, this is still the finest country for a Muslim to be in. every Muslim country is very oppressive of Muslim opinions, here in South Africa; we have freedom of speech, expression and association. We should love our country and be patriotic as this country would take better care of us that any other Muslim country or India.



Jazakallah.

No comments: